Plants and their uses
1. Which flower did early Christians place around statues of Mary as an offering instead of gold coins and is sold in large quantities in India to make garlands? Calendula / Marigold.
2. Sloe gin is flavoured using fruits from which shrub? Prunus Spinosus / Blackthorn.
3. The flowers from which plant are used to flavour the sweets gulab jamun and Turkish delight? Rosa / Rose.
4. Which plant produces ‘digoxin’, used to treat heart conditions? Digitalis / foxglove.
5. The candied stalk of which plant is used to decorate cakes and biscuits? Angelica archangelica / Angelica.
6. Which flower is the scent of Christian Dior’s ‘Diorissimo’ based on, and was also included in Kate Middleton’s bridal bouquet? Convallaria majalis / Lily of the valley.
7. The seed heads of which plant were used to ‘raise the nap’ in cloth making? Dipsacus fullonum / Teasel.
8. Which highly poisonous plant’s Latin name derives from its past cosmetic use in dilating women’s pupils? Atropa belladonna / Deadly nightshade.
9. Cricket bats are traditionally made using wood from which tree? Salix alba var. caerulea / Willow.
10. Which dye was historically extracted from the plant Ysatis tinctoria? Woad