Every week during the Lockdown, W Yorks HPS member Kathy Howard will produce a horticultural quiz to keep our minds fresh. The answers (no cheating please!) will be attached to the following week’s quiz questions.
For answers to quiz six, click here
This week’s quiz is: Fill in the missing word!
Choose the correct word from this list to complete each quotation
1. Gardens are not made by singing ‘Oh, how beautiful,’ and sitting in the …… –Rudyard Kipling.
2. My garden is my most beautiful …… -Claude Monet
3. To plant a garden is to believe in ….. –Audrey Hepburn
4. Almost every person, from childhood, has been touched by the untamed beauty of ….. – Elizabeth Lawrence
5. There is nothing pleasanter than ….. when the ground is soft and damp. –John Steinbeck
6. Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are ….. at the bottom of it too? – Douglas Adams
7. A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in ….. – Doug Larson
8. Plant and your ….. plants with you; weed and you weed alone. – Jean Jacques Rousseau
9. There are always ….. for those who want to see them. – Henri Matisse
10. The hum of ….. is the voice of the garden. ~Elizabeth Lawrence